Pages

May 18, 2012

Product Junkie..."Shea Moisture Organic Coconut & Hibiscus"

Again...I have tried a lot of products in my hair, but some of my absolute favs are from the product line from Shea Moisture "Organic Coconut & Hibiscus". I first found the brand while wandering through a local Target in NYC and became intrigued the minute I read "Coconut". I was already a fan of all the things that coconut can do for hair and once I read the ingredients, I had to pick up a few of the products in the line: "Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie", "Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Conditioning Milk" and the "Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo".
These products have a focus on thick, curly hair, which is a plus for me, because that is what I have. The company of Shea Moisture use certified organic ingredients to create amazing hair products. According to the company, the idea of Shea Moisture, was a legacy to their grandmother Sofi Tucker, who sold homemade hair and body products to support her family in Sierra Leone. The main advertised ingredients of this line are:

  • Coconut Oil- Hydrates and protects hair from heat and chemical damage.
  • Silk Protein- Reduces breakage, strengthens hair, adds smoothness and silkiness
  • Neem Oil- An age-old ayurvedic oil that strengthens hair and provides brilliant shine. 
The line uses no parabens, paraffin, gluten, mineral oil, synthetic fragrance, phthalates, propylene glycol, PBA, or animal ingredients. Shea Moisture is also cruelty free and uses ethically traded ingredients.
    When I took my products home I was extra excited about. I love using products that have all natural ingredients, for some strange reason, I feel that I'm doing my hair some good. Just like milk is suppose to for the body and I love me some milk, lol. The first product that I tried was the Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo.


    Now for me, this shampoo is the bee's knees.  The product says that it gently cleanses, hydrates and detangles hair for bouncy and healthy curls...and that it does indeed, well, at least for me.  From the moment I washed my hair with this shampoo, it felt softer and raking my fingers through my hair and scalp was a breeze. The tangles were little to none and the smell was a nice touch as well. The coconut and hibiscus, brought a beautiful tropical scent to my hair and the shower (bonus!). Another plus to this is that a little goes a long way with this shampoo. I bought my bottle 11 months ago and I still have enough to last me a few more ( does anyone know if shampoo has an expiration date?!). I use it every time I wash my hair, unless I only co-wash.

    Depending on what I want to do to my hair, the Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie or the Conditioning Milk is used. 


    The Curl Enhancing Smoothie as per the container: is full of nutrient rich vegetable butters that condition hair, restoring moisture, body and shine. It also enhances curls, minimizes frizz and provides curl control. I have used the Curl Enhancing Smoothie, twice since buying the product and both times I liked the results. As it does help to minimize frizz and control the twist outs that I wore, it didn't retain the amount of moisture that I preferred for my hair. I often had to spritz my twists with a different moisturizer, such as the Black Vanilla Leave-In Conditioner from Carol's Daughter (one of my first natural hair loves), to keep the moisture in. Because of this I found myself more prone to creating twist outs with the Curl & Style Conditioning Milk.



    photos: various sources
    The Curl & Style Conditioning Milk is a definite fav of mine (among many, lol). It creates amazing twist outs with the right amount of moisture that my hair craves. It is said to detangle, condition and control curls, while restoring body and shine. Wet or dry, my hair stays moisturized. I don't know if it was meant to be more of a styling aid than a conditioning milk, but it was on point. It would give me great twist outs that were not prone to frizz, which I loved and I would get great second and third day hair. I also used the Conditioning Milk for added moisture when my hair is in twists and braids and the shine was very noticeable, which was an another plus.

    I have heard from others who have tried the Shea Moisture "Organic Coconut & Hibiscus" that it did not work for their hair type. It always saddens me when I try a product that works fairly well to great in my hair, does not do the same for others, but with hair all things may vary. That's why trial and error is a big part of going natural, you never know what products will be your "hair saviors" so to speak. But when it comes to the "Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Conditioning Milk" and the "Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo", I give them great praise, lol. Go ahead and try it and if you have...What did you think about the line?  


    No comments:

    Post a Comment