Pages

Aug 4, 2012

Caring For Oily Skin In The Summer...


photo: various sources 

Like a huge majority of people I always look forward to the days of summer. What I never look forward to...the havoc that the summer brings onto my skin. My skin is very oily and while in the winter it helps prevent my skin from drying out...in the summer I look like I washed my face with Crisco or Pam :/.
This summer has been particularly brutal and I have noticed that my skin has been breaking out more and has become shinier than usual. The heat makes the sebaceous glands work in overdrive causing the skin to produce more oil. Because of this, the fear of summer and my skin has been realized. In order to combat the season of sweat...I have a few products to help keep my oily skin under control and some notes to keep in mind to last me until the Dog Days of Summer are through, lol!:


  • Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash: The 2 percent salicylic acid help fight/ prevent breakouts without over drying oily skin types. It's so great that it works well on all skin types to help keep  breakouts at bay. 

  • Ambi Even & Clear Exfoliating Wash: Is said to help clear and prevent breakouts and trust me...it definitely works. Anytime I have a breakout due to a hot day, I wash my face with this product and the next day...the breakout has been reduced significantly! With a mix of soy and Vitamins C and E, it also helps to improve the appearance of dark marks that breakouts tend to leave behind on th skin. 


  • St. Ives Apricot Scrub: I've been using this product since I was 13 years old and it is a tried and true favorite of mine when it comes to washing away the oil from my skin. The beads do a wonderful job of getting rid of dead, oily skin and leaving behind a fresh new layer of unclogged pores.


  • Olay Professional ProX Clear Intensive Refining Sulfur Mask: I use this twice a week to help dry out current breakouts. It absorbs oil and reduces shine....amazing!


  • Ambi Even & Clear Daily Moisturizer with SPF 30: My favorite moisturizer I use all year round. It's oil-free and lightweight and is enriched with soy and Vitsmins C and E. Oil-free is what my skin craves and this allows the oil to stay put for a good portion of the day. My skin is also left feeling smooth, moisturized and protected from the sun.


  • Neutrogena On-the-Spot Acne Treatment: I use this over my moisturizer on any acne that may appear when I least expected it to. It's rubs in clear and blends well over it and under makeup.
  • Oil Blotting Paper: The best invention ever when your out and about. Just take a paper and lightly blot the areas of your face that appears oily and voila! Oil is gone! Even if it's only temporarily. 
A great tip I always follow in caring for oily skin in the summer is to try to not wash your face more than twice a day. I know it can be tempting, but fi done more than needed, it can cause the skin to become extra dry, which can lead to peeling. 

I always like to know that I can still wear makeup whenever so I opt for more powder cover ups than the liquid foundation. My all time favorite for the summer and all year round is the Cover Girl Queen Collection Lasting Matte Pressed Powder in Medium.

The light coverage gives a natural, translucent look and helps keep the shine away. Something I desperately need in the summer and a product I would definitely recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment